God of War Ragnarok’s 4.02 update is now available on PlayStation consoles, addressing numerous bugs and other in-game issues. Released in November 2022, the game has been a massive success for PlayStation, with over 11 million copies sold in just three months.
Santa Monica Studio, the developer of the title, has rolled out numerous updates to address bugs and enhance the game experience, including a major update introducing New Game+ mode. The New Game+ update brought additional armour sets, a higher level cap, new enchantments, and adjustments to endgame bosses such as Valkyrie Queen Gna in New Game+ mode. The developer has now released another update for God of Ragnarok, focusing on resolving a broad range of bugs.
The patch notes for God of War Ragnarok’s update 4.02 feature an extensive array of bug fixes across various aspects of the game, including trophies, combat, UI, and audio. The update addresses numerous improvements, with the equipment in God of War Ragnarok receiving the most significant attention. Among the fixes are solutions for crashing issues in Ragnarok and addressing problems related to upgrading certain equipment beyond level 9. One such bug prevented players from receiving a Gilded Coin when upgrading a shield; now, players will belatedly obtain this item through the Lost Items Chest.
Many of these bugs seem to have emerged with the release of the New Game+ update, as numerous fixes detailed in the notes pertain to it. Update 4.02 also introduces a few adjustments exclusive to the PlayStation 4 version of the game, such as resolving a problem where two characters would fail to appear in their designated location after skipping a cutscene.
Lastly, the update provides a solution for a known issue causing players to be returned to the main menu when loading a PS5 save created after importing a PS4 New Game+ save of God of War Ragnarok. In April 2023, Santa Monica Studio released update 4.01 for the game, which also addressed some potential issues arising from the New Game+ update. Patch 4.02 aims to further rectify the remaining bugs present in the game. The developers posted the notes on their official website so you can go check them out here or you can view them in full below.
The Full 4.02 Patch Notes
Known Issue Players will be returned to the main menu when loading a manual save created on PS5 from an imported PS4 New Game+ save.
Workaround: When importing PS4 New Game+ save data to a PS5, continue playing after the initial load-in until a new Autosave is created. After that, you can generate new Manual Saves that won’t be impacted by the aforementioned issue.
- Resolved an issue where final quest music played upon loading from the main menu or restarting a checkpoint in Midgard during post-game in New Game+.
- Fixed skipped dialogue lines after a cinematic when acquiring the Mysterious Orb quest in New Game+.
- Resolved a seldom-occurring crash while navigating the Sparring Arena menu and choosing ‘Ingrid’ as a companion.
- Resolved an issue where Kratos could branch into weapon move-sets while in Fury Rage mode.
- Fixed a rare case where Gná could trigger her Stomp too soon after Wing Shard, causing unavoidable player death on Give Me God of War difficulty.
- Resolved a problem where restarting from a checkpoint before the Björn boss fight would cause Kratos’ Rage Meter to disappear and prevent the player from changing equipped Rage.
- Fixed Kratos’ shield disappearing if the player upgraded the equipped shield to level 9.1 (or above) but didn’t equip the upgraded version via the prompt.
- Addressed an issue where base game resources were unavailable for purchase/selling at the shop after updating to Patch 04.00.
- Resolved the issue of Pommels of the True Flame vanishing from the Blades of Chaos weapon menu when upgrading from level 8 to level 9.
- Resolved an issue where the player wouldn’t receive a Gilded Coin when upgrading a shield to level 9.1.
- Any Gilded Coins that were not obtained because of this bug will be awarded retrospectively through the Lost Items Chest.
- Resolved an issue where players wouldn’t obtain a Gilded Coin upon upgrading Leviathan Axe, Blades of Chaos, or Draupnir Spear to level 9.1 if their equipped attachment wasn’t upgraded first.
- Unreceived Gilded Coins because of this bug will be retroactively awarded through the Lost Items Chest.
- Addressed an inconsistency between the amount of Divine Ashes in-shop and the amount needed in-game for upgrading armour.
- Fixed an issue where the sled loot would drop a New Game+ resource during base game progression after updating to Patch 04.00.
- Resolved an issue where Digital Deluxe Edition gear Darkdale Waist Guard or Risen Snow Armour couldn’t be updated past level 9 during New Game+ progression.
- Fixed a missing recipe for Soldier’s Sauroter in the shop in New Game+, preventing player from upgrading the component.
- Addressed an issue where missing weapon components were shown as available in the shop/Lost Items Chest.
- Fixed a problem where multiple enchantments weren’t rewarded during Crucible Chests, Favours or Treasure.
- All Enchantments missed as a result of this bug will be provided retroactively using the Lost Items Chest.
- Resolved an issue where Gná’s Camp would become available after completing Muspelheim Challenges, causing the player to become stuck.
- Fixed an issue where weapon appearance couldn’t be changed for a 9.1 weapon until player upgrades to the 9.2 and above variants.
- Resolved a missing line within credits.
- Fixed an issue where the “Spit Shine” trophy wasn’t earned when upgrading a New Game+ armour piece to level 9.
- Resolved an issue where the environment would briefly take time to load after skipping a cutscene following a sprint to a door.
- Fixed a situation where two characters didn’t appear in their designated locations after bypassing the cinematic and rapidly moving along the path.
- Addressed a problem where Hardrefill the Callous wouldn’t appear in the Berserker Soul arena, resulting in the player being trapped inside.
About The Author
Stephen is the proud owner of a popular gaming news website GLN, where he provides the latest updates on everything gaming-related. With a passion for video games that dates back to his childhood, Stephen is dedicated to sharing his knowledge and expertise with fellow gamers around the world.