The Sims 5 Developers Eye Multiplayer Features For Next Instalment in The Franchise.
- The Sims 5 set to include multiplayer functionality according to interview.
- Would allow playing together with friends for the first time in the franchise.
- Creative VP envisions visiting each other’s worlds and limited interactions.
- Cites influence of Animal Crossing: New Horizons multiplayer implementation.
- History includes failed Sims Online MMO; fans divided on adding multiplayer.
- Some modders created popular multiplayer mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4.
- Team wants smaller-scale social features versus massively online play.
In a recent interview, a lead creative developer for the upcoming The Sims 5 indicated plans to incorporate multiplayer functionality into the next generation life simulator. This would mark a first for the traditionally single-player franchise.
Speaking to Radio Times, Maxis’ vice president Lyndsay Pearson shared the team’s enthusiasm for limited multiplayer opportunities in The Sims 5. But some fans have concerns about disrupting the solitary experience.
Visualising Cooperative Play
While details remain early, Pearson described potential social interactions akin to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Players could visit each other’s worlds and partake in shared activities.
She emphasised developing “my little space” first rather than massive online worlds. The goal is enhancing single-player with cooperative touches.
Past Attempts at Social Play
This isn’t Maxis’ first foray into Sims multiplayer. The ill-fated Sims Online MMO was shut down in 2008 due to minuscule popularity.
For recent entries like Sims 3 and 4, multiplayer mods have enabled community play, showing the persistent demand.
Reactions from a Divided Base
Among longtime fans, responses range from enthusiasm to scepticism about diluting the solitary experience many cherish.
Some worry mandatory online components could hamper enjoying the 5th entry offline at one’s own pace. It has been confirmed that the free-to-play model is here to stay, and this has gone down very well within the community.
If the team pursues multiplayer features, ensuring they remain optional add-ons versus required integration will be crucial.
Letting players toggle online cooperation on or off would accommodate different preferences. The current title in the series is having a mass discount sale of all of its expansions. This is a limited-time offer though so you’ve got to act quick if you want to take advantage.
An Evolving Franchise
As a cornerstone EA property nearing its 25th anniversary, expectations for the next instalment are sky-high. Major innovation could broaden the fanbase, but risks alienating those seeking familiar complex singular play.
- Surprise Update Adds Cute Back-to-School Items for Free
- Make a Splash with New Poolside Fashion Kit
- Realistic Landlord and Tenant Roleplay in The For Rent Expansion
Pearson and team have acknowledged the challenge of balancing tradition and reinvention. Their ability to walk that line will determine if multiplayer harmonises with the strategy title’s core spirit.
The Sims 5 is currently in development.
About The Author
Stephen is the proud owner of a popular gaming news website GLN, where he provides the latest updates on everything gaming-related. With a passion for video games that dates back to his childhood, Stephen is dedicated to sharing his knowledge and expertise with fellow gamers around the world.